Port scene

Care and welfare

There may come a time when your everyday tasks and duties become more difficult to carry out and you could benefit from a helping hand.

In this section, we look at some of the support on offer and where you can go for advice on things such as getting help at home, moving into retirement accommodation and ill-health and disability benefits.

Long-term care

Here we take a look at some of the long-term care options available and where you can go for more advice.

Getting help at home

If you need help at home with your personal care or daily tasks, ask your Local Authority for a needs assessment form. For more information see Age UK’s helpful guide, Care at home.

Care homes

Moving into a care home can be a big decision and so it makes sense to make sure you find a care home which suits your needs. If you need advice on choosing a care home, Age UK, your Local Authority and the Elderly Accommodation Counsel are useful sources of information.

If you want to know more about the quality of a care home, you can visit the Care Quality Commission (CQC) website. The CQC checks that care homes, hospitals and other care services are meeting national standards.

Ill-health and disability benefits

If you have a disability or a long-term or terminal health condition, you may be eligible for benefits such as the attendance allowance or the personal independence payment to help you with any extra care needs.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance allowance is a tax-free benefit for people who need help with personal care due to a physical or mental disability and are over the age of 65. The allowance is paid at two different rates depending on the level of care that you need.

Personal Independence Payment

The Personal Independence Payment helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill health or a disability if you’re aged 16-64.

Like Attendance Allowance, it is paid at different rates, depending on how your condition affects you.

Both of these benefits are tax free and not means tested. For more information about ill-health and disability benefits visit the gov.uk website